Monday, November 11, 2013

Apart from Him

"God cannot give us happiness and peace apart from himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing." - C.S. Lewis
More and more, I am discovering that happiness is not found in my life when I am pursuing God, it is found in GOD when I am pursuing Him. In the past, I have not understood the difference between these two things. The first concept holds that, when I pursue God, it is easier to be happier with my life. This idea tells me that it is easier to find happiness in the things that are occurring in my life when I am seeking God. However, living this way still places the focus of happiness on my circumstances, rather than on the Lord.
Instead, as C.S. Lewis says, happiness cannot be found apart from God. When our circumstances are frustrating, and even when our circumstances are good, our happiness should still be found in God alone.  Rather than our relationship with God helping us to find things to be happy about in our lives, our relationship with God should make us happy simply because of God Himself. 
The Bible is full of descriptions of all the things we have because of God's benevolence. We are adopted as God's children, we are new creations, we are promised that God works all things for good for those who love Him. With all these numerous promises, we needn't look any further than God to fulfill our need for happiness. 
I am so thankful for the happiness and joy and peace that the Lord brings, simply by being Himself. 
Today's Verse
Psalm 37: 4
Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment