Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What Would It Take?

A friend shared a story with me today about a time when they were feeling unsure and someone asked them what it would take for them to feel encouraged. I feel like God has been asking me the same question recently.

"What would it take for you to feel encouraged, Devon? What would it take for you to feel assured?"

In my humanity, I think I respond all too often to those questions by asking for just a little bit more. I see the things God is doing in my life and the ways that He is providing, and I tend to say, 'Thank you! Now, could you also do something else? Something more? Something even bigger?" I let my fear undermine my certainty. I tell myself that all these things are good, but that more is needed in order to feel secure.

But this just isn't true. We needn't look at our lives and say that God is not doing enough. God does exactly what is needed, exactly when it is necessary. There is no reason to doubt that He will accomplish all the things He intends. God doesn't abandon His projects the way I might abandon a half-knitted scarf.

Today, I am responding to those questions with a heart full of gratitude. I thank the Lord for what He is doing in my life. I thank Him for showing me how He provides for me. I thank Him for leading me beside still waters and restoring my soul.

Today's Verses
Philippians 1: 6
Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment