Friday, February 22, 2013

Turning into the Skid

A wise woman I know presents the idea that, when driving, accelerating and turning into a skid is the best way to correct and recover (turning away, overcorrecting, are our first instincts and they are incredibly dangerous). She wonders if God wants us to accelerate and turn into the very things that frighten us, in order to recover and correct our paths.

I have spent the last several months discovering the things that I truly fear. My deep-seated, insidious fears about myself, my life, and God are slowly coming to light.  But maybe awareness isn’t enough. Maybe just knowing what I fear and even discussing my fears with God and others isn’t enough. Maybe I should accelerate and turn into those fears, throwing myself on God’s mercy and trusting him to handle things.

I’m not sure what that looks like, but I have a feeling it means accepting God’s help when I face uncomfortable and fearful situations. It means trusting God to go before me, trusting that my first reaction, to turn in the opposite direction, is what I shouldn’t do. Instead, I should go with it, go with God. 

Today's Verse 
Romans 8: 28, 31 
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose… What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

No comments:

Post a Comment