Monday, February 25, 2013

What Do I Do Now?

Do you ever reach a point where your plans for life take an entirely new turn and you are left confused and fumbling around, trying to figure out where you are going? Or maybe, like me, you find yourself still walking the path you planned to walk, but you are no longer sure where that path is heading.

I no longer know what I am doing or where I am going or how I am supposed to get there. Yesterday I was feeling totally at sea, as if I were on a boat that had gotten halfway to its destination only to have the wind and driving force simply disappear with the horizon nowhere in sight. Then I went to church, only to have God really speak and force me to face the flaws in how I've been thinking about my life. Our pastor came straight out and told us to 'stop trying to accomplish God's goals your way."

Wow. Once again, God shows me that knowing is not enough. Knowing what I fear hasn't been enough to conquer those fears, and knowing what God wants for my life isn't enough to make it happen. I've been seeking after God's plans for me and what He wants from me, but once He has revealed those things to me I have not been concerned with how He wants to accomplish those things in my life. Instead, I've said 'Oh, great, thanks for the heads up! I'll go out and make that happen for you." But that is NOT the way He wants it. He wants our eyes to stay on Him, even when He reveals His goals and tasks for us. He never intends for us to do it alone, because we can't. Only He can accomplish His goals in our life, we can never do it without Him or before He intend for it to happen.

By the end of yesterday's service I could hear God asking me two things. The first was 'Why must you rush ahead?' He said, 'Please just WAIT for me! It will go so much better for you if you keep your eyes on me and wait." The second was 'Do you TRUST me?' I heard him saying "I am faithful and I honor my promises. But you must wait on me, and waiting requires trust. Do you truly believe I will accomplish these things? Keep your eyes on me.'

So that's the answer to 'what do I do now?' I keep my eyes on Him. I put Him and His will before my own. I wait.

Today's Verses:
Isaiah 64:4
 Since ancient times no one has heard,
    no ear has perceived,
no eye has seen any God besides you,
    who acts on behalf of those who wait for him. 

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding; 

 in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment