Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Cast Away

Control. It's what I want, and it's what I'll never have. This is a reality of life. There is nothing I can do, no effort I can make, to be in control of my circumstances. In truth, at the core, I like it this way. I am so grateful to the Lord that He has a good and perfect plan. However, there is a part of me that looks around me and sees my life and says, "No, no, it would be better if you could control this. It would be better if you could be the one with all the information."

That voice is so alluring, so tempting to listen to. If I were in control, at least I would know exactly what steps were being taken to solve problems, right? Wouldn't that be less worrisome? If I were in control, things might go wrong, but I would know exactly who to blame: myself. Isn't that worth something?

The Lord answers these questions with a calm, firm, "No." I wasn't created for control. I was created for dependence on Him. Rather than seeing my circumstances as struggles with giving up control, I want to recast my vision of them as opportunities to practice trust in His provision and faithfulness. He has yet to let me down, and He promises to uphold the righteous with his right hand. Rather than seizing control from Him, I want to let go even further, to cast all my cares on Him, throwing them away from me like a fisherman casting his line.

What cares do you need to cast away?

Today's Verse
Psalm 55: 22
Cast all your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment