Friday, September 27, 2013

Open My Eyes

I read today in Numbers about a time when the Israelites spoke out against God saying, 'There is no food and no water and we loath this worthless food" (Numbers 21: 5b ESV). The Lord sent serpents who bit the people, killing many, until they realized they had sinned by speaking out against God and Moses and pleaded with Moses to intercede for them with God. He provided healing in the form of a bronze snake, lifted up on a pole. Any who were bitten could look at the snake and be healed (Numbers 21: 4-9).

What strikes me about this story is the complaint of the Israelites. They wail that there is no food, and then that the food that they have is worthless. So really, it's not that they have no food, it's that they are not satisfied with what they do have and want something more or different.

I think about the ways I do this same thing. I catch myself ignoring all the good things that God is doing in my life, all that I do have, and focusing on the things I don't have or the things that might go wrong. I have so much, but tend to focus on the one or two things that I lack, and miss out on recognizing the blessings God is providing. A friend mentioned today that God does so many things in our lives each day, countless things, yet we only notice a few. Today my prayer is that I notice more than just a few. I want God to open my eyes that I might see and recognize His benevolence and be satisfied.

Today's Verse
Psalm 34:8
Taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!

No comments:

Post a Comment