Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Things that Count

It's a new semester here at Penn State and that brings with it all the usual advice for the freshman. The usual things can be heard around campus, in syllabi, at convocation, from the RAs, all trying to make sure that the freshman understand that they need to make their time count. I remember being a freshman in college and being told that, while graduation seemed very far away, the things I did in classes, the work I did (or didn't) do, mattered. The things I chose to put effort into or not would effect the outcome of my college career. I hear those same things being told now, here.

I, however, find myself so thankful that this is not the message we get from God about our pasts. Today I am thinking over parts of my past, and I am so thankful for the redeeming power of Christ. The things I did, or didn't do, don't count against me in light of the blood of Christ. I don't have a cumulative GPA in heaven, where I am constantly working to balance out my failing grades with some straight A semesters. Instead, my past is wiped clean, and I can trust the Lord to work in my heart to change me so that my future might be different from my past.

I needn't dwell on the past and constantly work to compensate for my mistakes. Christ has taken all of them upon Himself that I might be free. I am free to focus on the things that truly count, to praise and bring glory to the Lord in all that I do.

Today's Verse
1 John 1: 7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment