Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Like He Sees Me

I really dislike self-evaluation. Whenever I do it, I find that there are two parts of me that go to war. First there is the part of me that wants to think well of myself. That part wants to focus on the things I do well, to recognize that there are areas where I can improve, but to generally be kind and loving towards myself. Then there is the other part. The other part of me doesn't think of well of me. It tells me that honest evaluation is evaluation that lists all my flaws. It tells me that the kind part of me isn't kind, it's dishonest. That it isn't give a fair and balanced review, it's giving a sugar-coated and false picture of who I am.

In these situations, I know that what I really need to do is to not focus on how I see myself at all. Instead, I need to ask God how He sees me. I need Him to guide me, I need Him to help me decide what to say about myself. If I leave it up to me, I'll simply end this task saddened or guilt-ridden. Luckily, God sees all of me and knows all of me. I am forgiven for my faults, yet He is just and so I know that any conviction He places on my heart is righteous. I can trust that, with His guidance, evaluation is not a journey of guilt but one of self-discovery and a chance for improvement. When I see myself like He sees me, even as I am corrected, I am safe, valued, protected, and loved.

Are you letting yourself see you as God sees you?

Today's Verse
Ephesians 1: 4
For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment