Monday, March 11, 2013

Wait for Him

God often takes a LONG time to accomplish things, and I have a hard time with that. I move forward in little baby steps, always thinking the next step will bring me to completion. Instead, I find new things to deal with, new things to learn, new things to accept behind every bend in the road. I get frustrated with the slow pace, knowing that I am going as fast as I can, as fast as I'm meant to, but so eager to just move forward, to accomplish, to get that stamp of approval. I want to rush through this process to get to the next thing.

I was feeling frustrated, impatient, and antsy last night when I decided to watch the new Bible miniseries on the History channel. Regardless of a myriad of issues people have with the production as a whole, I was struck by the passage of time in the story of Abraham. God promises Abraham a life in a new land and descendants that will be more numerous than the stars, and then SO MANY years pass. Seeing the caption '40 years later' pop up at the bottom of the TV screen drove that home more to me than reading the story in Genesis ever has before.

Waiting that long didn't mean that God had forgotten Abraham or reneged on his promises to him. It just meant that God was doing what He promised in His own way, in His own timing.

I am comforted by this today. My slow progress in my journey of faith, the things I see as roadblocks, the seemingly endless progression towards something new that I just can't quite grasp are all part of faith. They are all part of God's promises - the journey is just as important as the destination. I am embracing the journey today, having faith in God's promises, and waiting.

What is God teaching you as you wait for Him?

Today's Verse
Romans 4:3
What does Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."

No comments:

Post a Comment