Saturday, March 9, 2013

Slowing Down

Sometimes I think that the reason I have fibromyalgia is so that I am forced to slow down, to accept my own limitations. To accept the help only God can give and to force me to maintain boundaries with my time and energy.  Tonight, I am sick with a cold and as much as I want to spend time with my friends, I need to stay home and rest. If I want to be at full strength tomorrow, I have to invest time in doing little today, in doing what's best for me.

I often feel pressure to do what other people need or want instead of what I need or want. I am pathologically afraid of appearing needy or high maintenance, and that means that I often have trouble saying no and setting healthy boundaries for my time and energy. It means that I often find myself running through life, full steam ahead, until suddenly I have nothing left to give anyone, let alone myself.

Tonight I am taking the time to recharge. I am looking to be filled, to be on my own, to fill up my reserves so that I can go back out into my life tomorrow with energy and purpose. Taking time for myself now means I can better serve God and others later. 

Are you taking time for yourself? Are you maintaining healthy boundaries?

Today's Verse
Psalm 19:7
The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment