Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Right Words

I have been finding myself without words a lot recently. Friends have presented me with issues or questions and I just don't have the answers. In some cases, I'm not even sure where to start. For me, a verbose and social person, this is strange and unnerving. I like knowing what to say, I like having the answers.

It's easier for me to tell myself to be patient and to pray about something or to wait on the Lord than it is for me to tell others the same thing. When I say it to others I think it sounds too easy, too simple, like I am brushing off their concerns. But it's not easy or simple. It's right. When the answers aren't clear, when the path ahead is shrouded in uncertainty, the only thing to do is look to God, pray, and be patient. I'm not saying that we shouldn't listen to our friends' problems and questions - we should, and we should consider our responses carefully and lovingly. But when we don't have a ready answer or plan of action, we should speak God's truth into the situation. God's word says to look to him, and that's what we should tell our friends.

The Holy Spirit guides and convicts, if only we will listen. God will speak through us to our friends if we get out of the way. He will speak to us if are patient and prayerful and attentive. Filling the room with empty words isn't fruitful, but encouraging a friend to pray and turn their eyes to God is always productive. It may feel like too simple a response to a friend in need, but sometimes its exactly what needs to be said.

Do you have friends who need to hear God's truth spoken into their current situation?

Today's Verse
Matthew 11:28
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment