Friday, March 29, 2013

The River Runs Through Us

Scripture says that rivers of living water flow through those who believe in Christ. The river brings the fruits of the spirit. It brings love, joy, peace patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. It brings fulfillment and freedom.

Unfortunately, the various things of life can crowd the river. Emotional and spiritual debris falls in, and rather than letting it get swept away in the flow, washed away in living water, sometimes we let the debris stay. We hold on to it. We let it accumulate. We let dams develop, dams that stifle the flow of that life-giving water. The river turns to a stream, then a trickle, and we are left downstream, with less and less access to that living water.

But God does not intend for us to be dried up. He doesn't want that for us, and He is ready and waiting to help us clear the debris, to help us bring down the dams. When we ask, He will reveal to us the things that are damming up the river running through us. He will reveal how to rid ourselves of the debris that has collected. He brings healing and restoration. He brings life, that we might have it to the full.

He never promises that clearing the debris will be easy or simple, but I am finding that it is rewarding work. I am attempting to clear the debris from my life, to rid myself of the negative things I think about myself, the discouragement I experience in my work, the temptations to give up, to accept that I will never be more than what I am right now. I am attempting to bring down the dams that are holding me back from the rivers of living water that Christ promised. 

Are there things standing between you and rivers of living water?

Today's Verse:
John 7: 38
Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.

No comments:

Post a Comment