Monday, April 8, 2013

Connecting the Dots

I am amazed at the ways that God continually proves to me that He hears me, He knows what I need to hear from Him, and He wants me to hear Him. In the midst of exhaustion, frustration, impatience, and pouting, He hears me. He speaks to me.

Yesterday I was having a serious pout. I was exhausted, I'd had a headache all day, and, let's face it, my life is not going exactly the way I'd like. At the core of it all, deep inside, a little voice had spent the day telling me that all the things God has said to me over the last year, the last few weeks especially, were false. I spent the day listening to the voice, letting it erode my faith and trust in God's promises. I spent the day remembering all the things in the past that didn't go my way, the things that still affect the way I see myself, and letting my fears get the best of me.

But God was there. He knew I needed to hear from Him, and He met me where I was. Last night at Bible study we discussed the immense power of God to do immeasurably more than we could possibly imagine. We asked ourselves what kept us from being open to incredible possibilities. For me the answer is clear. I keep my expectations low, my requests small, to keep from being disappointed. That little voice inside me tells me that my past makes it clear that what God wants for me won't make me happy. It tells me that God doesn't want to do things for me that are good, that He can't be trusted.

But that message is based on the wrong information. I've connected the dots of my past in the wrong way. God doesn't disappoint,  he redirects. He doesn't harm, He protects. By changing my perspective only a little bit, and by connecting the dots in a slightly different way I see a message of hope and provision rather than one of disappointment and failure.

How are you connecting the dots of your past? Are you open to letting God do immeasurably more than you can imagine?

Today's Verses
Ephesians 3: 20-21
Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment