Saturday, April 13, 2013

Penned In

I'm beginning to think that fear is like a fence, or maybe a fogged up window. Sometimes my view of the goals that sit on the other side of fear are clear and blocked only by the occasional fence post. Sometimes the fear is more overwhelming, more obstructing, and I can only make out vague shapes on the other side. I can certainly use my imagination and picture all manner of possibilities, but when I go to move towards the other side, the obstacle that is fear is there, stopping me.

I know that fear is holding me back and I've started moving past it in some areas, taking little risks. But in other areas, I feel like I'm just standing still, staring at the fence and wishing it would go away.

Did you know that the sentiment behind the phrase 'fear not' occurs over 360 times in the Bible? One site puts the total at 365, one for each day of the year.  The Word is clear. God does not desire for us to live in fear. Fear is an obstacle between us and joy, love, and patience. It stands between us and progress. It stands between us and surrendering to God's will.

I want to be fearless. I want to be stepping out in faith in all areas of my life. I want to stop over-thinking and embrace the discomfort. I want to rest assured that if I am following God's direction, I will be safe, and I need not fear.

Are you letting fear pen you in? In what areas of your life is fear holding you back?

Today's Verse
Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment