Thursday, April 25, 2013

Is This Surrender?

I heard a talk recently where the speaker remarked that sometimes the most frustrating thing about our spiritual journeys is that we keep encountering the same problems, the same sins, the same struggles. Instead of being discouraged by an enduring struggle, the speaker encouraged us to see these recurring issues as ways to grow in our faith. Each time we encounter a familiar issue it is an opportunity to 'level up'. These are opportunities to become more advanced, to no longer be beginners in our faith and our spiritual journeys.

Much of my spiritual journey has been characterized by my struggle to surrender completely to God and to His will for my life. In the last year or so, I have been on what has felt like an intense exercise in surrender. I opened myself up to hear from God, and I listened intently for His guidance. I saw God do some amazing things, I heard him clearly, and there were times when I know I succeeded in achieving a whole new level of surrender.

Now, however, I am finding myself confronting this familiar theme once again. It's as if God is saying 'You've been doing great, and here is a chance to advance. Will you go deeper?'

I read today that God created me to be a woman more committed to His kingdom than to myself. I think that this what more advanced surrender looks like. Rather than just hearing from God and being guided by him, I need to be willing to put not just my relationship with Him, but also my commitment to His kingdom, before everything else.

Are you putting Him and His kingdom first?

Today's Verse
Romans 12:1
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God - this is your true and proper worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment