Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Come, Follow Me

Faith can be characterized by our reactions to unexpected challenges. When God asks something new of us, how do we respond? I know my reactions tend to run the gamut from total avoidance, to reluctant acceptance, to wholehearted submission, depending on the situation.  Regardless of how you handle these challenges, we can learn a valuable lesson from Matthew 8. A disciple told Jesus he desired to follow Him, but that he first needed to bury his father. Jesus responded saying, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead." How often do we tell God the same thing?

My most common reaction to new challenges from God is to put off submitting. I want to submit, just not right away. I say 'Okay, God, I'll do what you ask, but I have to do _________ first." In Matthew 4, when Jesus calls the first of the disciples, we see the ideal response to God's call. Jesus told Peter and Andrew to come, and they left their nets at once to follow him. They were in the middle of their work day, and they put everything aside to follow Jesus. They didn't ask for time to finish the task at hand. Instead, they recognized the value of the call Jesus placed on their lives, and they obeyed.

How can you be more like Peter and Andrew? Are you willing, right now, to do what God is calling you to do?

Today's Verse
Matthew 4: 18-20
As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will send you out to fish for people." At once, they left their nets and followed him.

No comments:

Post a Comment