Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Thinking on Themes

When I was 15 I went on a 6-week long missions trip. It challenged me in ways I never expected, right from the very beginning, and I was forced to rely entirely on the Lord. As part of the introduction process, we were asked to choose a Bible verse that we would memorize and meditate on throughout the trip.  So, for the first time in my life, I thought about and chosen a 'life scripture'.

My life scripture is Philippians 4: 6-7. It reminds me that, regardless of my situation, I need not be anxious. Instead, I need to cultivate an attitude of thanksgiving, and be open with the Lord about what I need and want and how I feel. The Lord is ready and willing to grant me peace, and His peace will guard my heart and my mind.

I was reminded yesterday evening that the life scripture I chose serves a purpose, even now, 11 years after I first chose it.  I am marveling at the way the Lord led me to a verse that continues to be applicable. As I face obstacles and challenges now, I take comfort that the words that brought me so much comfort back then bring me comfort now as well. I am so thankful that the Lord knew me, knew my life as it was and as it would be, and cared enough to bring me to a verse that I would continually return to.

Do you have a life scripture? Has it exemplified the themes of your life?

Today's Verses
Philippians 4: 6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.




No comments:

Post a Comment