Monday, June 24, 2013

The Means or the End?

Not too long ago, a friend encouraged me by telling me that her journey through grad school was less about her degree than it was about God letting her simply be where she was. I am seeing this truth in my life more and more as the days go by. I am beginning to see that, for me, my degree is a means for me to be here, it is not the ultimate, life-defining goal. This place, these people, are not a means to an end. They are a worthy end, in and of themselves.

As God changes my goals and my dreams, as some dreams die and others are born, I find myself so thankful for the time that God has given me. I've had time in my department to form friendships, to form relationships that were supportive and surprising. I've had time to learn how to think and critique my field, but also how to think and critique myself. I've learned what is important to me, as well as what and where to let go of my pursuit of perfection. I've had time to build a community and a life here that I treasure.

As time passes, and as things continue to change, I persist in thanking God for the time He gives. I thank Him that he has provided me with time and space to evaluate my life and my future. I thank Him for the time and space to write, to live, to simply be, in a familiar place with few pressures.

Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom, space, and time. There is change and transformation of ourselves and of our lives.

Are you aware of the freedom you've been given? Are you letting it change you?

Today's Verses
2 Corinthians 3:17-18
Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment