Friday, June 28, 2013

Emotional Response

The Bible warns us against letting our emotions rule our thinking. It makes it clear that the enemy seeks to exploit our negative emotions and drive a wedge between us and the Lord. I'm finding myself in those exact circumstances at the moment. I think the worst thing about it is that it undermines the hope and faith I have in God. It makes it hard to trust, when my thoughts continually prick at my fear and insecurity, when all I can see is my anxiety.

I often reach a point where I decide that I will trust God, even if only for a moment. The idea of trusting Him for the next hour, the whole day, or the whole week is too overwhelming, but I can choose to trust Him right now. I can take the next few minutes to identify things in my life that are praise-worthy, areas where God is clearly present, and dwell on those. I can choose to rejoice and pray that God will help me to change my perspective. Hope soothes my insecurity, praise challenges my fears.

What is your response when your emotions get away from you?

Today's Verse
Psalm 43:5
Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

1 comment:

  1. I can ABSOLUTELY understand what you mean. Sometimes I get a pressure in my body when I don't feel in control - it's an anxiety and a build-up of emotions I hadn't been able to let out until that moment. Because I have actually been spending with the Lord lately (it has been a while), the Holy Spirit has really been calling me out in a loving way and letting me know where it's coming from. And I can't wait to fall into Him at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete