Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Fill Me Up

In recent days I have begun a new strategy for finding satisfaction in the Lord alone. I have stopped waiting for the end of the day to pray about the ways in which I felt insecure and the ways in which I felt that my needs weren't met that day. Instead, I am starting the day by telling the Lord what I am fearing, where I feel a lack, where I need Him to meet me that day. I have been asking Him to meet my needs, to fill up my emotional gaps, my spiritual holes, before I ever get out of bed.

I have found that, by doing this, my encounters with people have become less central to my emotional well-being. My emotions are less effected, less variable, when I rely on God to fill me up first. If I am supported and affirmed by my friends and acquaintances, that is fantastic. However, if I don't get exactly the right words from them, that is ok, too. When I need other people to fill my cup before I turn to God, I will always come up short, but when I rely on God to affirm and support me first, when I let Him fill my cup, anything else is extra, and my cup runs over.

Are you letting God meet your needs before turning to others?

Today's Verse
Psalm 90: 14
Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.

No comments:

Post a Comment