Monday, August 12, 2013

God's Question

On Sunday our pastor presented us with an interesting concept. He said that it is likely that the most common question that we ask God is, "Can I trust you?" but that, if God had one question He could ask each of us, it might be the very same question. Can He trust us?

I know that I constantly fall into the trap of seeing God's faithfulness over and over in my life, and yet still asking Him, "Can I trust you?" I beg and plead for Him to show me again, intimately aware that my spirit is willing but my flesh is weak. Now I have this other image in my mind, this image of God looking at me, and wondering the same thing.

Unfortunately, I am not constant as He is. I am not the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. My faithfulness, my trustworthiness is not a certainty. When I look back on my past, there isn't a single moment or example where God proved himself unfaithful or unworthy of my trust. But when God looks back on our relationship, on the times He asked things of me, my record is not nearly as clean. I can only imagine the number of times I took advantage of blessings, squandered opportunities, turned gifts into points of pride, and worked for my own benefit instead of others.

As I now, officially, enter a new phase of my life and as I ask God for provision and blessing and guidance I want Him to be able to trust me with those things. I want Him to be working in my heart, to be renewing my spirit, so that I can be trusted to work for Him and not for myself, to do His work as He wants it done. I want a better record going forward than I have left behind me.

Can God trust you?

Today's Verse
Luke 16: 10
Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.

No comments:

Post a Comment