Monday, August 26, 2013

It's Not the First Day

For me, today is not the first day of a new school year. For the first time in 21 years (more, actually, if you count preschool), I won't be heading to a classroom this fall. I won't be buying notebooks and pens or spending an exorbitant amount of money on textbooks. I won't be impressing new teachers or teaching new students of my own.

I thought not doing these things would feel strange, especially since my life plan, the one I'd held since high school, was to get a PhD at the very least, and become a professor myself at the most. I thought I might be disappointed or at least a little sad to know that I'm really, truly, not doing that, and that the Lord has definitely taken my life in a different direction.

But, I'm not. There isn't one iota of my being that is sad this morning. I'm elated. I'm free. I'm filled with joy. I've spent the last week doing some of my best work, my most enjoyable work, and it was work I never thought I'd ever sign up to do as an actual job. I was speaking to a wise friend last night and I expressed to her my amazement that following God's leading could lead to such fulfillment and joy and peace and contentment!

Cheesy as it may sound, today isn't my first day of school, but it definitely feels like the first day of the rest of my life, and that is cause for celebration.

What are you celebrating today?

Today's Verse
Galatians 5:13
For you were called to freedom, brothers only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love to serve one another.


No comments:

Post a Comment