Thursday, August 29, 2013

Praise and Petition

One of the reasons that I love the Psalms is that they are such a real and honest depiction of what a relationship with God is like. David's prayer life reflects his heart, and his heart was often troubled and conflicted, even while he praised the Lord. When I find myself in similar mindsets, I try to remember to look to the Psalms as an example of how to pray honestly. I can bring my cares and concerns to the Lord, but I also want to remember to praise him, to recognize his awesome glory and power. I don't want my prayer life, my discussions with God to be all about me.

I think about my conversations with people and about how few relationships last when conversations are consistently only about one of the people involved. I don't want to inflict that kind of relationship on God when I wouldn't want to stay in one like that myself.

The Bible says we should do all things to the glory of God and that we should pray unceasingly. When I do this, when I consistently have God at the forefront of my mind, and don't confine Him to a few minutes in the morning and a few minutes before I go to bed at night, I am much more likely to bring praise in addition to my petitions. I remember to thank Him for the good things, to recognize the blessings in the moment and point to His goodness. In this way, my cares and concerns don't overshadow the good things in my life, instead, by the end of the day, I've seen so many blessings, that the cares and concerns seem few and small in comparison.

Are you praising the Lord in addition to your petitions?

Today's Verse
Ephesians 5: 15, 20
Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise...giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment