Monday, August 19, 2013

God With Us

When the angel appears to Mary and tells her that she is to have a baby, one of the names he calls the child is Immanuel. Immanuel translates to "God with us". Today I am reminded that, regardless of where we are or what we are going through, because of Christ, God is with us.

There are many definitions of the word 'with', and it seems like such a little, simple, common word. I don't think I've ever given it's meaning much thought before today. But, when I realize that "God with us" means that I am accompanied by God himself, that God is a participant with me in my life, that He is on my side, that He is present with me, I find hope and strength. Everything else seems, if not small, at least not overwhelming in the face of his presence.

I am not alone, and neither are you.

Today's Verse
Psalm 23: 1-4
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

No comments:

Post a Comment