Friday, August 16, 2013

Practical Things

Now that I am a 'real' adult, I am finding that there are practical spiritual lessons to learn along with the more intangible ones I have become used to. As I exercise self-discipline, developing spiritual self control, I encounter practical opportunities to engage in spiritual practices. The lesson I learned today? I don't need a new dress.

Now, yes, that is overly simplified. In reality, what I am learning is that I need to be a good steward of my money. Could I have bought have bought a new dress today? Sure! I could have rationalized it, I could have made excuses. There wasn't anyone there to stop me, and I do have an event I'll be going to where I will need to wear a dress. However, I want to actually act like a 'real' adult instead of just saying that I am one.

I actually want to learn to be a good steward of my money. I realized today that I've never really done that before. I've never quite had to. Sure, I've had bills that had to be paid, rent that needed to be sent in on time, but the nature of being a student, of being my parents' dependent, was such that true stewardship of my money is something I've neglected to develop. Now that I have the opportunity to develop those skills, I want to take full advantage. I want to grasp the chance that God has placed in front of me to grow, even though it may be difficult, even though it stretches me beyond my current skill set.

How is God stretching you?

Today's Verse
1 Corinthians 4:2
Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful

No comments:

Post a Comment