Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Learning Contentment

In Philippians, Paul says, "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." I love this concept of learning contentment. Contentment isn't something that just happens. We can't simply decide to be content and expect it to immediately occur. It's almost a skill. We have to develop it, practice it, learn how to do it. Becoming content is a process.

My process towards contentment has spanned multiple areas of my life and involved pain, endings, and what has felt, at times, like giving up. I've seen my health falter, I've struggled in relationships, and I've totally changed the course of my career, and that's just in the last several months! But through all of that, I have learned what I do and don't truly need. I have learned what it is to be content with what I have. I have learned what truly matters, what problems are worth my attention and energy, and what it is to be positive and to smile regardless. God has taught me to focus on what He wants me to focus on. He has placed a desire in my heart to see the world and people through His eyes rather than through my own. By changing my perspective and attempting to develop one that more closely resembles His, I find that my personal concerns are much less important, much less overwhelming, and much easier to deal with and then move on.

It is true that we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength, and with Him on our side, pulling for us, working through us, guiding us, there is no need to let any circumstances steal our joy or contentment.

Are you pursuing contentment?

Today's Verses
Philippians 4: 11-13
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment