Monday, July 1, 2013

Raise Mine Ebenezer

Yesterday our pastor told us of the importance of remembering the things that God has done in our lives as a way to remind us of His faithfulness. I have been focusing a lot recently on the things that I can see God doing now and where I can see Him working currently. However, I realized that my focus on the present has distracted me from the past.

When I focus only on what God is doing right now, it is easy to become apprehensive. What if things don't continue going the way I think or hope they will? What if I come up against unexpected obstacles? While focusing on the present keeps me grounded and aware of my surroundings, it is remembering God's past faithfulness that soothes my fears and anxiety.

As I face the large scale transitions coming up in my life, I remember times in my past when God has been faithful. When I left home on a missions trip that stretched me farther than I expected, God was there. When I graduated from high school and moved 300 miles away to go to college, God was there. When I was applying to graduate school and deciding where to go, God was there. When I was sick and weak and frustrated, God provided me with people who were supportive and caring.

Where has God been faithful to you? What stories are you remembering?

Today's Verse
1 Samuel 7: 12
Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, "Thus far the Lord has helped us."

No comments:

Post a Comment