Friday, July 12, 2013

Finding God in the Whisper

I read yesterday about Elijah. The study I read made note of the fact that Elijah was an ordinary man, just like you and me. He faced a crisis of faith, feeling as if he was all alone in his work for the Lord, fearing for his life, afraid he wasn't making a difference. Then the Lord told him to go up on a mountain and that He would pass by Elijah. A strong wind, then an earthquake, and then a fire came, but the Lord was not in any of those things. Instead, the Lord was in the small and gentle whisper that came after. In that whisper, the Lord reassures Elijah that he has many people on reserve for Him and that His plan is a good one.

I think I often expect the Lord to speak in overwhelming, undeniable ways. The wind, the earthquake, and the fire are so big, so noticeable. But, they are mere distractions. They call our attention away from what the Lord has to say to us. I feel like there are a lot of winds, earthquakes, and fires in my life right now. My fears and insecurities abound, all of which are trying to distract me from the small whisper that says "Trust me. I am doing more than you can know or comprehend".

I am listening for the whisper of the Lord, refusing to be distracted by the roaring wind or the rolling rocks.

Are there things that distract you from hearing the Lord?

Today's Verses
1 Kings 19: 11-12
The Lord said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountain apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.

No comments:

Post a Comment