Friday, July 26, 2013

Useful is a Useful Word

I was reading the other day and came across a phrase where someone referred to a word as useful. For some reason it struck me as odd. I found myself wondering, what does it really mean for something to be useful? I know what it means for things to be useful in the every day sense. I can use things to perform tasks, and so long as they perform the task well and don't break, I consider them useful. But what does it mean for something or someone to be useful in an eternal sense? Am I useful in that way? Does God consider me useful? Am I doing good work for Him and performing the tasks He has set before me well?

Satisfying answers to these questions aren't necessarily easy to come by. They require a great deal of self-awareness, and also an awareness of where God is working in my life and in my surroundings. The parable of the bags of gold (Matthew 25) shows that when we are faithful with a few things, God will put us in charge of many things. Being useful to the kingdom means being faithful with the things God gives us and being good stewards.

I am looking at my life, my skills, the ways God has gifted me. By identifying where my gifts are, I can hopefully identify where God is leading me and where I can be the most useful for His kingdom.

Where does God want to use you?

Today's Verse
Matthew 25: 23
His master replied, 'Well, done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share in your master's happiness!'

No comments:

Post a Comment