Friday, July 19, 2013

The Gift of Friends

Have you heard that corny phrase, "friends are gifts we give ourselves"? I keep thinking about that phrase today as I feel incredibly blessed by one of my friends. Just to be an observer in her life recently has been a great blessing and gift. Today, in particular, I am finding the bulk of my encouragement in observing her life. We've been friends for years, ever since we traveled the country performing together as teenagers. She knows me in a way that no one in my life now has ever known me. She was there for me, we were there for each other, in a situation that no one else exactly understands. Our bond is built on pain and sweat and living on a bus and sleeping in random places and eating terrible food and seeing amazing sights. We are so different, and yet so the same.

I was speaking with her yesterday about giving up on the dreams I've been holding on to, knowing that God has better things in store for me, but still being nervous about the uncertainty. She calmly and gently reminded me where she found herself three years ago, certainly not seeing the plans or the dreams she'd been holding on to coming to fruition.

However, as of this morning, she finds herself a mom. She told me yesterday, as she waited impatiently for her little one to arrive, that, three years ago, she would never have expected to find herself where she is now. However, she's so glad that things worked out the way that they did. She was uncertain then, just as I am now, but that uncertainty certainly paid off for her. The pain and the nervousness and the loss of the dreams were worth it, if this was her reward. She is amazing. She is inspiring. She is so completely right.

I don't know what my reward is, but I know that there is one. I don't know when I'll receive it, but I know that I will. And, in the meantime, I will continue to watch for the examples of God's provision in the lives of my friends.

Can you see God working in those around you?

Today's Verse
John 5:17
Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working." 

No comments:

Post a Comment