Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Lord Will Nourish

There are times when our bodies crave food, and it is clear. Our stomachs growl, if we wait too long our hands shake, and we start to feel faint. When we neglect to give our bodies spiritual food, however, the signs can be less obvious. We may distract ourselves with business and entertainment and neglect our spiritual health. When we wait too long, we suddenly find ourselves spiritually starved.

However, Peter makes it clear that we must crave spiritual milk. Like newborns, we need the milk in order to grow and mature, in order to build us up in our salvation. As we mature, we still must continue to feed ourselves, to tend to our faith and care for it, just as we care for and tend to our bodies.

As I find myself no longer working or going to class I find that I have two choices. I can let myself fall out of routine, enjoying the leisure that comes with free time, and risk totally forgetting all that structure brings to my life. Or, I can remember that I am worthy of the effort of self-discipline. I can choose to impose structure, schedules, routine on my life. I can take the time to remember to feed my body and my soul. I can make time for God, and make it a priority, even when there seems to be so much time at my disposal. I can recognize my craving for spiritual milk and feed it, knowing that the Lord will nourish me with His word.

Are you being nourished?

Today's Verse
1 Peter 2: 2-3
Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment