Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Open A Window

Today I am reminded of a quote from the Sound of Music. Maria is asked to leave the abbey, where she is training to be a nun, to serve as a governess. As she leaves, and the doors to that closed community close behind her, she says, "When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window." This week I submitted my Master's Thesis and my defense approval forms and signatures to the graduate school. It's official, I'm done with school. I came here, always expecting to leave with a PhD, but God has, in very obvious ways, closed that door. It's scary, but as I remember this wise quote from Maria, I am filled with hopeful anticipation.

I remember all things I love about closed doors and open windows. As a child, in the hot and humid Mid-Atlantic summers, I loved to close my door and sit on my bed, surrounded and supported by pillows, as thunder rolled and rain poured down, and I lost myself in my favorite book. As a college student, I adored locking up the apartment, sitting on our horribly uncomfortable futon, and watching scores of people stream down the street, yelling and cheering the latest Red Sox/Celtics/Bruins win.

Closed doors have never scared me before, and open windows have always beckoned. Why should this be any different? I am saying no to fear and being scared, and I am ready and willing to try new things, explore new paths, and let God lead me where He may. I've never lacked for a plan before, but God is teaching me a new plan: to trust Him and follow Him with utter abandon.

I'm in.

Are you?

Today's Verse
Jeremiah 29:11 (NKJV)
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment