Monday, July 15, 2013

On the Cusp

I find it both amazing and also frustrating that God keeps teaching me the same lessons. Or rather, that I need to keep learning the same lessons and He is willing to take the time to reteach them to me. My biggest, most commonly faced lesson? Patience. It has, in a number of ways, defined my life and my walk with Him. Every time I think I'm about to reach the summit, I find myself waiting.

Today the lesson finds me in my office, waiting impatiently for the signatures that I need to complete my Master's Thesis submission to the Graduate School. It is the last piece in a puzzle that has taken me two years to complete. The Graduate School has the thesis, I have paid my thesis fee. I know my committee is prepared to sign, I know they are in the building, I know one of them has possession of the form and will email me when they are done with it so I can deliver it to the other. Everything is in place. And yet, I wait. My foot shakes as I tap my fingers on my desk. I hit refresh on my email over and over. And the waiting continues.

In my antsy-ness, I feel a calm, gentle nudging in my mind. It lovingly says, "What are you doing? Why are you rushing? Haven't I taken care of this already? Why are you worried and hurried? Remember to enjoy the process, the learning that comes from waiting. Here, I will remind you again."

There is learning to be done while I wait. Learning that I am not in control, that everything does not need to be in my hands, and really needs to be in His. Learning to stop and experience things, rather than rushing from one thing to the next. Learning to take the time to do things the way they should be done, when they should be done.

Are you waiting today?

Today's Verses
Romans 8: 25
But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment